Did you miss me? I know I haven’t been doing these, but I’m getting married in a month, so sue me, I have been REALLY busy. There will be a new podcast coming this week, and tons of stuff to talk about, so let’s dive in.
1. By far the biggest story coming out of the weekend is the USA Men’s Hockey Team beating Canada in Men’s Hockey, during Pool Play. People are starting to compare it to the “Miracle on Ice” in terms of upsets, but there really is one major difference, IT WAS IN POOL PLAY, whereas the Miracle on Ice got America into the Gold Medal game (and Al Michaels a permanent spot hosting the afternoon Winter Olympics coverage on NBC). I am proud of our boys, but come on, I’m an American, I want to win it all.
Oh, and NBC doesn’t let out any video from the game so here is an inspirational speech for the movie, “Miracle” starring Kurt Russell
2. There is a man for the Canadian Curling Team, Kevin Martin, who has been described as the “Michael Jordan” of Curling. Seriously. I want you to take a look at a picture of this guy, and see if you think, just based on picture alone, if he looks like the Michael Jordan of anything.
1. Tracy McGrady made his “triumphant” debut with the Knicks. I used quotes there, but to be honest, McGrady had a pretty nice debut for the Knicks (26 points), and it seems like the Knicks also are going to get some good back-up minutes from Eddie House (remember he played in D’Antonni’s system in Phoenix), but the Knicks still lost. So, there’s that.
2. In what has become the stupidest story in the NBA this season, which center can own the nickname “Superman”, Shaq or Dwight Howard, the Orlando Magic beat the Cleveland Cavaliers 101-95. Seriously, who gives a shit who is Superman. Beat the Lakers in the Finals, and then we can start talking. And in an even bigger display of who gives a shit, ESPN unveiled something called the “Ultimate Uplink” where Dwight Howard was interviewed remotely, but they made it look like he was in studio. Check it out.
1. This weekend was a great weekend for College Basketball, and not because Kentucky kept winning, but because it was Bracket Buster Weekend. It’s a weekend where mid-major schools, play each other in a showcase of what could be teams that could bust your bracket in March. Get it. You get match-ups like New Mexico State vs. University of the Pacific, New Hampshire vs. Loyola, MD, and my Cal Poly Mustangs vs. Hawaii (we won by the way). Coming from a Mid-Major school, that I tried to walk on to, I love this stuff. Plus, you get to see people like this from the University of Northern Iowa Vs. Old Dominion game.